I told you I was crazy about Plywood! Tyler and I spent the weekend before last making some changes to our bedroom - one of the rooms in our place that we had yet to tackle since moving in. The space really just didn't feel like us and needed updating to match the rest of our house. I was lying in the sunroom a few weeks ago thinking about how much better it felt than our bedroom - I would've rather slept there than in our bed. I really realized then that I needed to light a fire under my butt and make some changes.
I'd been having the hardest time trying to find the right bedside tables I liked - that had storage capabilities. Size, height, aesthetic, storage and price issues always seemed to factor out what I liked. So, why not build them ourselves? That's what started the entire headboard build. We built the boxes and then had trouble finding studs to anchor them to the wall. So we built a plywood headboard to attach them to :) Perfection. I am so beyond happy with how it turned out. This is now one of my favourite spaces in our house. Something custom built with love always feels better.
* The lighting cords will be adhered in a tidy way at some point - just not sure those are the forever lights for this room
**Let's just say these pink velvet Ikea pillows are not at the top of Tyler's 'favourite home items' list. We'll see how long I can get away with them for!
Changes we made to the room:
- Removed the tufted linen headboard we had previously - pretty and soft, but I was looking for a more modern look
- Removed the bedframe + underbed storage and dropped the boxspring to the floor. This was a really hard decision in terms of storage, but I love the look and feel of a low bed with high ceilings. It's a little euro/boho and keeps the room from feeling too formal + stuffy. As a bonus we've both found that the mattress actually feels better on the floor - our backs have never been happier. *As a sidenote our room and floor are super tidy and we used a fitted sheet that is easy to wash to encase the boxspring and avoid dust
- Flipped our bed to another wall. I used to rearrange my room every few weeks when I was little. It just felt exciting to sleep in a new place. Nothing has changed. Though our bedroom fireplace is functional, we don't often use it. It's easier to throw some lights into it and just plug 'em in when we want to. So we moved the bed to the wall next to the fire, giving us more easy access to our closets when you walk in. The easier the closets are to get to, the more likely we are to actually put things away. So far it's been working really well.
- Built a plywood headboard with 2 floating bedside table boxes - custom height and semi-hidden storage.
- Did away with bedside table lamps. I hate reaching over at night for water or whatever and knocking a lamp over. It just makes more sense to have them hanging or wall mounted above, leaving space for things you need on your bedside table. Schoolhouse Electric has my favourite selection of beautiful, well-priced, corded, wall-mounted fixtures - meaning you don't have to be an electrician to install them. For now I picked up some cheap Ikea ones as fillers, but am going to be saving up to replace them with a pair of the Isaac sconces after our Europe trip.
our old headboard:
Building the headboard:
- We picked up a large piece of 5/8" thick pine ply at Home Depot - they will cut it to your dimensions, so measure before you go. We chose to have it sit on top of our molding and reach high enough to line up with the mantle of the fireplace - one clean sight line. This meant getting a bit cut off the top and the sides - to fit snugly into place.
- It took one large piece of ply for the headboard + another smaller piece of the same thickness for the side table boxes
- We then measured where the outlet and lightswitch would be and cut holes for those.
- We used a stud finder and marked where we would need to fasten it to the wall.
- We held it against the wall and drilled holes then used screws to fasten it to the studs in the wall. We probably used about 12 screws in total, give or take a few.
- Once it was fasted to the wall, we sanded down all the edges until smooth
- We then applied a coat of pickling white wash. (You rub it on with a cloth, remove the excess and then let it dry)
- We then patched the holes left by the screws adhering it to the wall.
- We then lightly sanded it (after it dried) and applied a few coats of non-yellowing varnish to protect the wood and stain. (Letting it dry completely in between coats)
- At the same time we were doing this, we had made 2 simple boxes for side tables that were treated the same way.
- Once everything was very dry, we positioned the bed as we wanted it and attached the bedside tables (4 screws each) where we wanted them and then patched the screw holes.
- Voila! we had a new headboard that cost us less than $100.00 in total (we already had everything but the wood).
I'll likely be sharing some more picture of the rest of the room in awhile - I was just so excited about the headboard that I had to share right away ;)