I've been really into earthy, grounded fragrances lately. There's something timeless about scents like leather, vetivert, cardamom and cedar - they're simultaneously old-timey, nostalgic, refreshing and exotic.
When I came across the OLO Fragrance line in one of my favourite stores Litchfield (in Vancouver's gastown district) I was instantly smitten. I love the strength and purity of essential oils. You use less, they last longer, and they don't have the strong alcohol smell that most scents turn into on my skin. As a bonus they're way smaller than most perfumes and super portable - making them the perfect fix for traveling or just throwing into your purse on any given day.
OLO is the first hand-blended line that (for me) really nailed it on some interesting combinations. Their blends contain fractionated coconut oil, essential oils, key accords and absolutes. The Portland based company, founded by self-taught perfumer Heather Sielaff, conveniently offers 1ml sample sizes of their fragrances for purchase, so you can figure out which one works for you before fully committing. Then, once you've chosen, it's onto a 9ml full size roller which you can cart with you anywhere easily.
I tried out a few and these ones were my top picks: *I'm also really eager to try Toshi and Daphne at some point.
- Dark Wave
- CARDAMOM - INDONESIAN VETIVERT - WOOD
- "Dark Wave was originally created for a fall event kicking off the dreary rains set to inundate Portland for nine months. The scent is meant to envelop you, to protect you from the downpour."
- Cedar & Rose
CEDAR - ROSE - ROSEWOOD
"Reminiscent of a stroll through the Portland Rose Test Garden. The wind carried scent of cedar from the forest, intertwined with a field of roses."
- CEDAR – JUNIPER – PINE – VETIVERT
- Forêt represents all the forests I have ever taken a walk through.
- Violet / Leather
- LEATHER – ROSEWOOD – VIOLET
“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” - Mark Twain
JASMINE – LEMON – ROSE – SANDALWOOD
"Nationale is a gallery/shop in Portland. This scent was created in collaboration with owner, May Barruel. Like the old world rose soaps in her shop, it smells like a perfume from another time and place.
We've teamed up with OLO Fragrance to Giveaway a 9mL bottle of the fragrance of your choice!
To enter, simply visit OLOFragrance.com. Next, leave a comment below this post with:
1. Your Name + Email
2. Which fragrance you would choose
* Contest closes March 15th, 2015. The winner will be drawn randomly and contacted by email to claim their prize. Good luck!